Review of the 20-21 School Year

A brief overview of the school year of 2020-2021, and how it affected students.

Review of the 20-21 School Year

Eugenio Guardascione, Contributor

The school year of 2020-2021 has certainly been a very interesting one. From the very beginning, we, the students, started off in a very interesting way: that being attending school online/through Teams. I’m sure many students did not expect what could happen, or how this would affect the rest of the school year. Not everyone would be accustomed to this type of learning model. No one, if any, has attended school virtually. Work and communication with teachers was a little different compared to what would occur in face-to-face classes, and having to stay every day at home for class was a completely different feeling to what we were used to.

Going past a few months, students were shifted to the hybrid learning schedule. Students now attended school virtually and face-to-face on their respective days. Now that students can attend some school physically, it gave them more of a chance to interact with their teachers and possibly with other students. With this being a good thing, I believe there was some downsides to it as well. The back and forth switching from online to face-to-face was a bit of a hassle, and in some cases the work provided would be completely separate from both respective school days. While it wasn’t full on attending class physically, it was nice to have a period to return to school for a bit.

During the last few months of school, ARHS has decided to go to a full face-to-face schedule, like how it used to be. For some students, this would be much better for them to consistently attend class physically, rather than online. Teachers and students could now communicate more accessibly face-to-face. Despite all that, returning to a full on schedule did not feel the same as it once did. Not only was there plexi glass on desks to maintain social distance, but the classes overall didn’t feel the same. Not many people talk/interact during class, and ILT is very boring due to students not being able to roam the halls and the cafeteria anymore.  Still, having the chance again to return to school and engage in school activities and events is a nice relief to all of the quietness and sulking mood of school.

I believe I can speak for a lot of people when I say that this school year of 2020-2021 wasn’t the smoothest, for lack of a better term. Without the pandemic and social distancing requirements, I think school would definitely be a tad bit enjoyable, but with the work of the schools admins and teams, it has been more fun that it could have been.