Owen Labrie Sentenced to 1 Year In Jail For Sexual Assault

www.nytimes.com

www.nytimes.com

www.nytimes.com

www.nytimes.com

www.nytimes.com

According to Seventeen magazine, Owen Labrie, a former student at St. Paul’s School, was convicted of sexually assaulting a freshman student in 2014. Labrie will face one year in jail and probation.

Labrie, 20, was found guilty in August on three counts of sexual assault and one felony charge. According to Buzzfeed, “He allegedly persuaded the freshman, a 15-year old girl, to meet him on the top of the floor of a math and science building at the school as part of a tradition at the boarding school known as a “senior salute.”

The tradition involved the older students sexual assaulting the underclassmen. Labrie, who was 18 at the time, argued that any sexual contact he had with the underclassmen was consensual. Junior, Daniel Defreese said, “ I think he is innocent if they can prove the girl wanted to have sex with him. Depending on how old he is, he did have sex with a minor.”

Junior, Cathryn Main said, “ Well this could be either or. it depends on how you view it. I believe he’s guilty due to him being 18 at the time and the girl being 15. You don’t have proof that the girl wanted to have it. Also, he’s considered an adult now. He’s only going for a year and that year will be up in the knick of time.”

According to Seventeen, “Labrie’s Lawyer recommended probation and community service, while prosecutors asked the judge for a sentence of 3-5 to seven years in prison and sex offender treatment.”