Yet Another Rolling Stone Lawsuit

republicbuzz.com

Yet Another Rolling Stone Lawsuit

republicbuzz.com

republicbuzz.com

abcnews.go.com

republicbuzz.com

abcnews.go.com

abcnews.go.com

republicbuzz.com

Paige Gunther, Social Media Manager/Staff Writer

University of Virginia’s Phi Kappa Psi chapter served Rolling Stone magazine with a $25 million defamation lawsuit relating to the alleged article about a freshman being gang raped at a house party back in 2012 that was published in 2014. Previously, legal action for defamation has been taken by the associate dean of students after suffering “significant professional harm from both the magazine and the author of the story” and three specific members of the fraternity.

Details in the article included the attack on “Jackie” by seven members while two others watched. Major contradicting pieces of information were found. Phi Kappa Psi did not host a party on that night and Jackie’s main attacker did not even attend UVA. Columbia University journalism school and the Charlottesville Police Department’s investigations proved that Rolling Stone’s publishing was bogus.

In their statement, “The fraternity chapter and its student and alumni members suffered extreme damage to their reputations in the aftermath of the article’s publication and continue to suffer despite the ultimate unraveling of the story,” the organization explains how the allegations have affected them as a whole. Arguments against the article and its author claim that “deliberately ignored known facts and readily pursuable leads that, if acknowledge or pursued, would have shown that the allegations of ritualized brutal gang rape were fabricated.”