Too Much Homework, Not Enough Time

Too Much Homework, Not Enough Time

Too much homework, not enough time.

Too much homework, not enough time.

Too much homework, not enough time.

Too much homework, not enough time.

Olivia Brown

Homework is an activity that students do all over the world throughout their academic careers. Everyone is required to do homework; however, no one loves to do it. In fact, homework is sometimes given in large quantities everyday to high school students.

Ambitious expectations are passed onto children when teachers assume that their students nights will be subjected to doing a multitude of homework on top of band practice, youth group, and dinner at the table. Some may even say that homework can become counterproductive when it becomes abundant.

“I think homework is a very positive thing for each student, but I hate that teachers just give so much out at one time. It can be hard to handle,” said Ashley Ridge Senior, Abby Alexander.

So how much homework is too much? Studies show that high school students spend an average of eighteen hours on homework every week. According to a Stanford University study published in the Journal of Experimental Education, unreasonable amounts of homework can influence stress, bad sleeping habits, and a lack of balance in a student’s life.

While it may be evident that homework has a profound, positive impact on a students academic success, it can quickly take a toll on a students life. Assistant Principal and Educator Marcy Brown says, “A student who can do five math problems can easily do twenty. A student who can’t do five math problems, cannot do twenty. So why give twenty?”

In order for homework to be effective, it needs to be given in reasonable amounts throughout the week, in addition to still being challenging. I fully support the involvement of homework in each students as long as it is beneficial to their academic success and state of mind.