New 10-Point Scale Does Not Change Recorded Grades

Olivia Brown

South Carolina is finally off of the 7-point grading scale and adapted to the 10-point grading scale. It is exciting and fresh for the underclassmen, but not so much for the upperclassmen.

Colleges and Universities all around the country are on a 10-point grading scale. Due to the fact that this state is now on the same grading scale, it makes it easier for the students in South Carolina to compete with other states.

“I’m really excited that we get a chance to be on this new scale. I feel like it’s more fair that we are on the same playing field as everyone else,” said Junior, Ashley Anderson.

While having the new grading scale does give everyone some cushion room this year, it is not retroactive. The grades recorded last year will still be on the 7-point grading scale.

This news is great for the underclassmen who haven’t started their high school career yet. However, all of the upperclassmen with many high school credits will be stuck with their grades from the past.

“It kind of sucks because when we apply for college we will have to explain that our state switched the grading scale and that our previously recorded grades and GPA were on a 7-point scale,” said Junior, Cami Butler.

The state is still trying to figure out how to average each students 7-point GPA with the now 10-point GPA. For now, the state of South Carolina is at a standstill with figuring out what to do.