The Pressure of Quarter Benchmark Tests

The Pressure of Quarter Benchmark Tests

TEST, TEST, TEST!!

TEST, TEST, TEST!!

TEST, TEST, TEST!!

TEST, TEST, TEST!!

Olivia Brown, Writer

This week at Ashley Ridge High School, the Quarter 2 Benchmark Test will given to all students in their core classes. This week is generally one of the most stressful weeks at school, considering the weight these test carry.

Benchmark test are given to students to show progress, or pinpoint areas of weakness that needed to be worked on. The test would not count against a student if he/she were to score poorly on the test. Even though I, as a high school student, never enjoy testing week, the benchmark test is a great tool for teachers and administration to see quarterly progress from the students.

Quarter tests now count as much as a test grade would in the particular students’ course. Benchmark tests have never been popular among students during the time of my schooling, considering the fact that most people score poorly on them. Now that this test will be a factor in our test category is extremely nerve-wrecking and frightening. “I would definitely say this is one of the most stressful weeks of the school year. It’s the week before winter break and everyone is on edge because of the tests,” said Junior, Ashley Anderson.

While the test are positive to show growth or recession, I don’t understand why they have to count towards our quarter grade. Each student has to study information from the whole quarter and is expected to perform well. On top of that pressure, the test can make or break your grade, which is not a fun concept to imagine. Sometimes these test hurt students grades and ends up effecting their semester grade.

“I feel like it’s a lot of pressure to remember everything you learned all quarter. Last year, some of the benchmarks dropped my grade and I was really mad,” said Sophomore, Morgan Amos.

Hopefully this quarter, the benchmarks test do more good than bad. I hope everyone was able to perform their best on the tests this week.