Clemson Clears Out 35-Year Drought at the National Championship

Clemson+University+Claims+NCAA+Football+Title+

Clemson University Claims NCAA Football Title

Olivia Brown, Writer

Last night will be a night to remember for the entire town of Clemson,SC, and the Clemson Football program. With a final score of 35-31, Clemson grabbed the win from the Alabama Crimson Tide to secure a national championship.

With the top two college football teams fighting for the title, the pace of the game was extremely quick. However, Clemson started off to a sluggish start. Within the first twenty minutes of the game, Alabama scored two touchdowns run by Junior, Bo Scarborough. Freshman Quarterback Jalen Hurts made his mark at the national championship by completing 131 passing yards for Alabama.

The Tigers were able to grab one touchdown before the first half. They took this momentum to the second half and they sure did succeed. Although Alabama had scored double the amount of touchdowns as Clemson coming out of half-time, they did not let this take them down. Clemson’s Hunter Renfrew, a redshirt Sophomore, scored a TD in the third quarter by a 24-yard pass from Deshuan Watson. This touchdown put the Tigers back in the demanding Alabama’s defense to respond.

By the start of the fourth quarter, Clemson was able to score two touchdown’s putting them in lead lead for the first time in the game. This put direct pressure on the Crimson Tide and they would not let up. Alabama’s star quarterback, Hurts, ran a 30-yard touchdown putting his team back on the top. However, he stated that, ““I knew the game wasn’t over. When you have a guy like that on the other side of the ball, anything is possible.”

With two minutes left in the game, Clemson was forced to lay it all on the line for a win. They quickly ran their plays down the field, which would eventually bring them to the red zone. Heisman Nominee, Watson, threw a 2-yard pass to Renfrew in the last six seconds of the game. The Tiger fans rose to their feet as everyone in the stadium knew Clemson had secured their National Championship title in over 35 years.

“You never want to be on this end of it but today we are, and my sophomore season starts tomorrow,” stated Hurts in a post-game interview.

Clemson’s Head Coach, Dabo Swiney, worked a long and hard eight years to get to this point. ” I can’t tell you how humbled I am,blessed, that I was able to be a part of Clemson getting back on the top,” he said.

What a great way to end the 2016-2017 college football season for South Carolina and the ACC. Congratulations to the Clemson Tigers for an outstanding win.