Annual AR Black History Month Program

Olivia Brown, Writer

The Black History Club will be hosting their 5th Annual  Black History Month Program this Friday, February 17th. All students are welcomed to come to the program and listen to the great speakers the school has for them. Students will even be able to learn a little more about the culture of Black History.

The program will include a multitude of facts about African American history and why it is so important in today’s society. The Black History Club tries to make the program more innovative each year.

This year, our school has truly heightened the expectations for this program. The Black History Club has invited a very popular face in the Lowcountry to come and speak on Friday. Live 5 News Anchor, Raphael James, will be attending this program for the first time. James is a very successful African-American male in the community and his message will be a great listen for each child at Ashley Ridge. His eldest daughter attends Ashley Ridge, so he is quite familiar with Ashley Ridge and the culture.

This program will also include another special treat. The students will be able to participate in a live video chat with Senator Tim Scott. Scott is an American politician and the junior United States Senator for South Carolina. He is one of the only African-American males represented in the Senate today. The club thought he would be a great addition to the program because the school has never done anything like this before.

“We are just going to have a couple of people speaking to show how African Americans impact our community today and the program will have a bunch of facts about what African Americans have done to our history,” said Cordé Weeks, member of the Black History Club.

$1.00 tickets will be sold during ILT this week. The program will be held from 10:00 A.M to 11:15 A.M in the auditorium. We are excited to hear our speakers and have the best program yet.