Student Spotlight: Amy Willems

NASP

NASP

Olivia Brown, Writer

On Monday, the Ashley Ridge archery team traveled to Hanahan, South Carolina, to compete in the 2017 Low country Catholic Classic. Amy Willems, a Junior archer, did an excellent job at the tournament and deserves to be recognized.

Willems has been on the archery team throughout her high school years and has consistently scored well in the competitions. This week, she placed first out of nine in the category of her grade level and placed second out of forty-three in the high school women category. Willems scored sixteen perfect tens, which was the most-earned between the girls and boys on the AR team.

Out of all 133 girls at the tournament, Willems came in at 3rd place earning the best score on the team:285.

In addition to not only being the best archer on the Ashley Ridge team, she is also a designated Academic archer. Any student who has a title of an academic archer must maintain good grades in school and perform well on the archery team.

“I got 285 out of 300, which is pretty good. This Friday I get to compete in the Region Archery Meet and I’m pretty excited,” said Willems.

The region tournament will take place in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, on February 24. We are very proud of Amy and all of her hard work on and off the Archery Team.