Ashley Ridge Track Team Competed in Mellow Mushroom Meet

AR+Track

AR Track

AR Track

AR Track

AR Track

Olivia Brown, Writer

The Women’s and Men’s Track team traveled to Wando High School this past weekend to compete in the annual Mellow Mushroom relay meet. The athletes were able to shake it up this week because every event they competed in consisted of a relay.

Along with the regular 4×100, 4×400 and 4×800 relays, the teams were able to participate in multiple sprint medley relays and distance medley relays. This meet is particularly popular among high school track teams because it is fun to mix sprinters with distances runners and see everyone try something new.

The girls 4×400 relay placed 2nd overall, right behind Woodland High School. Nia Portis and Cailah Warner, the long jump relay team,┬áplaced 3rd overall with their combined jumps. Shayla Caradine and Carly Platt placed 3rd overall in the shot put relay as well.

Although none of the Men’s teams placed in the top three, their 4×100 relay team placed 5th overall. Junior Ni’JAy Hill placed 6th overall in the triple jump and Corde Weeks placed 5th overall in the Men’s Discus.

“The meet was really fun on Saturday. I was able to do events that I normally don’t get to compete in which was nice,” said Warner.

The track team will be back in action traveling to Dutch Fork this Saturday for the Coaches Classic Meet. This is one of the biggest meets of the season for the Ashley Ridge Track Team. Good luck Foxes.