Student Spotlight: Madelynn Ross

Student Spotlight: Madelynn Ross

Liz King

Madelynn Ross is a ninth grader at Ashley Ridge High School. Next year she will be entering tenth grade, and is very excited. Ross is a cheerleader at AR and has lots of school spirit. This year she was a buddy at our annual Swampfest event, and she intends to do it again next year. She would like to join Jefferson Leadership or an honor society in her upcoming high school years.

Ross loves cheerleading; she said in an interview, “It is a lot of hard work, but the end result makes it all worth it. I love when we finally hit a difficult stunt or do our routine and our coaches are proud of us.” She explained how cheer practice is usually five days a week over the summer, and during the school they have to perform at games. Her schedule is very packed now, but she hopes soon she will be able to branch out and join more clubs.

Ross cheered for Sertoma for a year when she was in third grade. Last season, she started cheering at AR, and the season has just begun. She cheers for JV at sideline and varsity competition at AR. Her position is a back spot.

This year varsity did not win any awards, but last year JV competition won first place at UCA camp at Furman University over the summer. Ross said, “This year, we truly came a long way as a team”.

Madelynn Ross is definitely a girl to look out for in the next upcoming school year.