Color Guard Team Facing Changes

Color Guard Team Facing Changes

Color Guard performing

Color Guard performing

Color Guard performing

Color Guard performing

Jessica Townsend

The Color Guard team at Ashley Ridge High School is facing changes this year due to lack of permanent coaches. Since the school has been unable to hire new coaches after last year’s quit, they have taken to temporary coaches leading this season.

Students are having concerns about this setup. The current coaches are not working to enforce rules or properly leading the team.  Some students are showing up late to practice and neglecting to work on routines, causing them not to know it well. Maria Starbird, a current member on the team says, “Practice and remembering is very much key in color guard. You can’t make someone practice but you can get rid of them, or bench them.”

One other rule that the coaches have not enforced is Passoffs. This is where students would have to do certain parts of the routine in front of the coach in order to be free and not have to sit in the stands in the third quarter. Choosing not to do Passoffs does not guarantee that the students know their parts.

Starbird added that these issues have hurt them in competitions. The first competition of the season, they came in third; on the second competition, they came in last. However, Starbird believes that they would have been able to do better, and possibly win if the coaches helped out more.

Last summer, Starbird, among other students, attended a band camp where they had a coach from Florida come to teach them. He gave them choreography for the opening and ballad in just one week. The team loved this routine and felt excited because they felt that they had potential to win in competitions this year.

When the assistant coaches came along, they redid all of the choreography and changed it into beginner level work. Students tried to  convince them to at least throw in a toss, but the coaches declined these requests.

Starbird has many wishes for next season. First, for the school to find a new coach, preferably the man who taught them at camp. Second, for the team to become more organized and for kids to take practice seriously. Third, and most of all, she says, “I hope that one day people will support the band in being a sport because we bust our butts just like other sports, if not more.”

About the Writer
Jessica Townsend, writer/editor

Jessica Townsend is currently a sophomore at ARHS. This is her second year working on the school paper. She is presently an editor and writer of world...