Just the Beginning of Something New

Cover of Grace Vanderwaal's new album,

Cover of Grace Vanderwaal's new album, "Just the Beginning" Source: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/09/grace-vanderwaal-announces-debut-album.html

Just the Beginning is Grace Vanderwaal’s newest album, and it doesn’t fail to blow listeners away. It screams to be heard and is very different from what the 13 year old girl has produced in the past. With a voice like an adult, Just the Beginning tests the limits of her vocals and shows just what she can do.

Vanderwaal’s new album is a mix of emotions and beautiful sounds. Each song tells a different story, and with 12 songs, it’s easy to listen to without pause. Of those 12, there were a few songs that stuck out throughout the album.

“Sick of Being Told” was a drastic change compared to the rest of the songs on the album, which overall had a light sound. Differing from her usual music, it has a dark and somewhat angry tone to it. She sings about how she wants to be herself and to break free from the cage she is in. People tell her what to do and what to think, but she just wants to have fun. The fading effect at the end was a great touch to a catchy song.

But perhaps the best song from Just the Beginning is “Burned.” It is a song that makes you want to get up and dance, its dark and inspiring sound rushing through you. The song itself is most likely her recovery song after a break up. The smooth change from a soft and airy voice to something heavier was really appealing. The bits of autotune and overall air of, “don’t mess with me unless you want to get hurt” made the song really stand out.

There weren’t many downsides to the album. Probably the biggest disappointment was how different it was from her usual style. Grace Vanderwaal has made herself known through her unique voice, which is always paired with her ukulele. And while she is categorized as pop, she almost has an indie sound to her music. Because of this, some of the songs were too pop-like and didn’t fit the name she has made for herself. While they were a nice touch, they didn’t scream, “Grace Vanderwaal.” Besides this, Just the Beginning is a lovely album. It tested Vanderwaal’s limits and showed just how far she’s willing to go.

Grace Vanderwaal’s airy voice is something that really grows on you. Just the Beginning takes you to a whole other world and digs up waves of emotions. It may be one of her best albums yet and is well worth a listen. It would especially appeal to anyone who enjoys pop or artists that stick out. Even if pop isn’t your favorite genre, Just the Beginning is worth a shot.