Beauty and the Beast

Tyra Elliott

For a tale as old as time, Beauty and the Beast was a spectacular hit that soared across the world in March, 2017. The film is perfect for those that enjoy a romantic fantasy or just love a good Disney movie. The film, directed by Bill Condon, is 120 minutes long and is rated PG 13 due to having some slightly frightening scenes. It was produced by David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman. The costume designer is Jacqueline Durran.

In a small french town lived a young, beautiful, and independent woman named Belle, who is played by Emma Watson. She tends to be the talk of the town, but not in a good way. They call her a funny and strange girl due to her constantly having a book in front of her, but that does not stop Belle from her love of reading. Some people may notice the similarities between Watsons character Belle and her previous role as the bookish Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter series.

Aside from getting called strange, Belle also faces another problem and that problem is Gaston. Gaston, played by Luke Evans, is a stong and handsome solider who tries to convice Belle to make her his wife. He tries everything he can to get Belle to marry him, but she declines him. Evans character attempts to be charming, but comes off as conceited and chauvinistic. He spends most of the film trying to win the affection of Belle, to no avail.

The film follows Belle on a mission to save her father that leads her to the Beast’s castle. Once Belle enters the castle, we get our first look at the Beast and the magical characters known from the original animated classic. Disney spared no expense to bring the Beast to life. The Beast, who is played by Dan Stevens, is a CGI character, but the live action is done so well that viewers will quickly fall in love.

The film incorporates many classic songs from the original animated movie such as “Be Our Guest” and “Beauty and the Beast”. There is also a new original song sung by the Beast, that is sure to be a hit. The remake of the song “Beauty and the Beast” performed by John Legend and Ariana Grande is available on the soundtrack.

Young or old, this remake of a beloved Disney classic will warm your heart and take you back to your childhood. It is easy to get lost in the fairy tale and find yourself singing along to every song. Beauty and the Beast is well worth a couple of hours of your time and is highly recommended.