6 Reasons Why NOT to Watch 13 Reasons Why

Stick to Disney Channel Selena Gomez! Season one of Netflix Original’s 13 Reasons Why was released on March 31st, 2017, & within less than than a few months, became the most watched show the site has.

The 13 episode series follows the story of a late young girl named Hannah Baker, played by Katherine Langford, who killed herself. She leaves behind a shoebox containing 13 tape recording, each one blaming a person for leading her to suicide. She designates Tony Padilla, played by Christian Navarro, to anonymously give each person the shoebox, and let them listen.

The narrator, Clay Jenkins, played by Dylan Minnette, was madly in love with Hannah. Once he receives the box, the tries to serve as her vigilante.

The show’s fad did not last long, but if you’re thinking about watching it now, here are 13 reasons why NOT to watch 13 Reasons Why:

1. Suicide is not the answer! The overall vibe of the series isn’t as serious as it needs to be. Suicide is not creative.

A few months follwing the show’s released, a Peruvian man killed himself & left behind tapes to those reponsible, mimicking the series. ( http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/06/08/peruvian-man-mimics-13-reasons-why-leaves-behind-tapes-after-suicide.html )

2. The lack of appropriate trigger warnings can definetly trigger those with PTSD.

On episodes 9 & 12, there are graphic rape scenes, & on episode 13, it shows Hannah gruesomely commiting suicide. A simple flash of a screen with tiny words isn’t enough coverage for such heavy depiction. These scenes are also very longer than they need be, and overwhelming.

3. Is all that heavy language needed?

Some scenes include students cursing in front of teachers, and not being punished. Under said circumstances, of course, anyone would swear, but 20 f-bombs every 10 minutes is an unbelievable & uncalled for.

4. The actors do not pass as teenagers.

Brandon Flynn, 24, Christian Navarro, 26, & Ross Butler, 27, simply do not look like high school students. The series depicts the majority of characters as sophomores in high school, so the age of the actors could have been cut in half. Not to mention, Navarro shows tattoos in numerous episodes.

5. Director, Selena Gomez, speaks out against rape and sexual assault, but is shooting a new movie with alleged rapist, Woody Allen.

In a short film following the show called “Beyond the Reasons”, Gomez, along with the cast, shed light on the importance of sexual assault and suicide awareness; Gomez is also known as a mental-health advocate. But is it all for show? Yet another reason not to support this show.

6. Drop the whole “love can save you” trope.

Throughout the series, Clay Jenkins expresses his affection for Hannah, and it is heavily suggested that if he would have told her, she would not have committed suicide. Which sets an example saying love will save you, which it won’t.

With a second season in the making, avoid it. There are better shows regarding similar topics on Netflix, so try Skins, The Get Down, or maybe even Degrassi.

If you need help, go to https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or call 1-800-273-8255.