Music Mutates The Mind

Graph depicting drug use over time in various genres of music

The new wave of popular, mainstream music and the artists making it are causing a major problem for the new generation of kids listening to it, now more than ever before. The current era of music has a higher focus on sex, drugs, and violence now than music ever has. This causes, according to numerous studies and swayed by popular opinion, a difference in behavior, attitudes and performances of children.

Children, on average, listen to music for approximately 2.5 hours every day according to research by the New York Times. One in three of each of these songs children are listening to contain heavy references to substance abuse including drugs and/or alcohol. That means that adolescences are receiving around 35 references toward substance use for every hour of music they listen to (New York Times).

The problem itself, however, is not the music content. The problem is who the content is made for. Rappers and singers alike are mature adults making music about mature topics. However, they are making this music for kids, not their equally mature counterparts. Children and teens are impressionable through the stages of their life. What they are introduced to, they will accept and conform to. When a child has an obsession with a certain celebrity, they are going to be influenced by that person. Nowadays, most of these people are not the best role models for kids to be implementing because they promote nothing but the wild life of sex and drugs.

No matter how you try to shelter or protect your kids, they are introduced to it anyway, especially because music is embedded in almost every aspect of our lives. Also, all of this music sounds the same so there really is no escaping it. A study of music by ABC News  showed that relevance to explicit content varied by genre, but each genre had more than one reference to substance abuse or living a party lifestyle. The study found that substance abuse was mentioned in 77 percent of Rap songs, 36 percent in Country music, 20 percent of R&B, 14 percent of Rock and Roll and 9 percent of Pop music. Of the songs studied, 54 percent promoted partying, 46 percent promoted sex, and violence by 29 percent. In the lyrics the music included substance use being encouraged by peers or friends by 48 percent and 30 percent for sex. Only an average of a mere 4 percent promoted an anti-explicit message to kids or had no mention of explicitly at all.

Parents and artists need to be aware of the effect they are pushing on the youth of our generation. Parents are responsible for their children and what they are exposed to. There is enough positive  music cirrulating but parents, especially, are not concerned enough with their childrens’ mental state as they should be to notice the changes. However, it takes a village to raise a child. We all need to ban together to promote positivity in our childrens’ live to help them grow and prosper as they should in life.