The Big Problem With Rap Today

The rap industry is on a steady decline morally. Publishers are to blame for this. As consumers we have to stand up to this injustice.The problem has no clear beginning because it has been apparent for so long. The rap legends like Tupac and Snoop Dogg started this problem, but now it’s been passed onto the next generation with rappers like XXXTentation and Kodak. The problem is disrespect for the law, and it is a timeless issue in the rap game.

Back in the day rapping was a career, but now it’s a dream. There’s power behind this role, and it has always been abused. XXXTentation beat his ex girlfriend to near blindness and used the mugshot as his album cover after being arrested. This is not a new thing for the rap industry; Chris Brown beat Rihanna, Dr Dre beat his critics. Kodak has gone to jail for statutory rape and walked away scott free. The encouragement for drug use in rappers lives is unheard of, and in some cases causing death. Lil Peep overdosed and died off of Xanax and Fentanyl, and after his death his music hit a level of fame that he previously never had. It isn’t unheard of for a rapper to be arrested for drug possession or to be put on probation; it’s the standard.

Rappers are a big inspiration to all types of demographics especially younger teens. Teenagers that see their favorite rappers commit horrible crimes and get away with no repercussions will make them think they can get away with these things. The crimes themselves are horrible, but the fact that they brag about it in their music is even worse. A rap song with nothing but sexism and racism is too easy to find. In XXXTentation’s music video “Look At Me” XXXTentation lynches a child on stage to push his political agenda.The rappers portray their crimes and degradation of women as the norm, and sell it to the easily influenced teenage generation.

Many people believe that producers should discourage this behavior, but this solution is highly flawed. Limiting a rapper discourages freedom of speech and limits the artist’s intended meaning even if the meaning is horrible. Another concept is making their music harder to reach for minors, but that would be just masking the problem. The problem is so deeply routed in rap itself that its became the expected. There is no such thing as a clean rapper, and the few that try never make it as big as the explicit juggernauts of today. The problem needs to be solved, but how to do it is it’s own debate.