Color Guard’s Grit

Throwing dangerous rifles and spinning huge flags is a normal thing for freshmen Kadynce Hausen and Maddie Lauren. Hausen and Lauren are both students at Ashley Ridge High School (ARHS) and members of the school’s color guard. From rifles to makeup to flags to costumes to choreography, everything has to be utter perfection for them.

Color guard is split into two seasons: fall and winter. There’s three practices a week, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. On Tuesdays, practice is a hour and a half long and is spent working on the choreography directed by Coach Dezi and Coach Ashley. On Thursdays, practice lasts a hour and a half working on tosses and tricks. Saturdays are four hour practices where everything comes together and is perfected.

In all that time, Hausen and Lauren work hard and strive for their personal goals of improvement. “Makeup is the number one thing I, personally, try to work on because I’m not good at it. But as a whole, timing is the most important thing because if it’s not on time or perfect, the entire thing is messed up,” Hausen shared. Lauren agreed, “Timing’s most important. If not, it looks sloppy…”

Both athletes think being a part of this colorful sport has affected them for the better. “…It’s made me more social with people and my dancing has gotten a lot better, and it’s actually a work out so it’s been keeping me in shape.” Hausen joked. Lauren said it’s improved her as a person and a performer. “It’s made me a better person. Color guard has changed my attitude and I’m a lot more active now.”

Recently, on January 27th, the ARHS color guard had a performance at Colleton County. Unfortunately, they did not win 1st place, but Hausen and Lauren are still proud of what they had accomplished and executed. Their next performance is February 17th on the ARHS campus. Hausen said, “We work very hard in color guard and it can only go up from here.”