Papa Johns Drivers Filing Lawsuits Over Unfair Wages

picture taken from @papajohns twitter

picture taken from @papajohns twitter

picture taken from @papajohns twitter

Jessica Townsend

Papa Johns drivers in South Carolina have been increasingly filing lawsuits toward the company. These employees are being paid below minimum wage, and the company has not been covering gas money and other car expenses, as they are supposed to, according to federal law.

It is not uncommon for pizza places to violate the minimum wage laws. There have been dozens of lawsuits against almost all the pizza companies in America(pizzalawsuits.com). When at the store, workers are paid by the hour. Drivers, however, are paid by the mile, causing their pay to vary each day and sometimes drop below the minimum wage.

In an example of a wage and hour class lawsuit in Florida, 2016, a driver by the name Ricardo Jinenez filed a lawsuit toward Papa Johns for violating the Fair Labor Standards Act. His attorney said “The industry standard is unreasonable reimbursement. The pizza companies just don’t pay attention to the IRS rate. Somehow they justify rates around 20 cents a mile, at best somewhere around 30 cents a mile.” He says that these reinbursment rates, “Provide such an unreasonably low rate beneath any reasonable approximation of the expenses they incur that the drivers’ unreimbursed expenses cause their net wages to fall below the federal and Florida minimum wages during some or all workweeks(topclassactions.com).” Because of this, most drivers only get around $5 an hour at best. The minimum wage in the US is currently $7.25.

Delivery fees for most pizza places range from $1-$3. This money does not actually go to the driver. It is a tax that can go to various different things for the store such as bags, computer systems, and getting back the money lost in coupons and discounts. Many people think that the fee goes to the driver, so they do not bother to tip them. Considering the wage problems, it is very important for people to tip fairly.

Two cases of underpaid drivers in South Carolina were dismissed in 2016(Stayler vs Rohoho) and 2017(Phillips vs Pizzathepie). Prince vs Perfect Delivery Inc. is currently pending in the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina. It has been certified as a collective action. Anyone who has worked as a delivery driver for Papa Johns in the past three years could be certified to join the case and possibly get reimbursment(paulllp.com). 

About the Writer
Jessica Townsend, writer/editor

Jessica Townsend is currently a sophomore at ARHS. This is her second year working on the school paper. She is presently an editor and writer of world news. Townsend also takes a creative writing class, and enjoys to write in her free time as well. Other topics she enjoys are photography, art, and music. She also loves being around animals, and wants to live on a small farm some day. Townsend plans on going to a technical college to earn her associates degree in nursing, and move out to New Mexico.

1 Comment

One Response to “Papa Johns Drivers Filing Lawsuits Over Unfair Wages”

1. Randy on April 11th, 2018 8:39 am

When I worked at Dominos everyone was paid minimum wage but no one received mileage reimbursement. We spent alot of money on car repairs. With tips received our average wage was around $10 hour and Dominos didn’t make us report our tips.

Its a shame any company wouldn’t pay minimum wage, I wish the plaintiffs well in their legal actions.

• Papa Johns Drivers Filing Lawsuits Over Unfair Wages

The Real Reason Pill Bottles Have Foil Seals

The Most Expensive Tweet in History

Bill Cosby Sent to Jail after 14 Years of Sexual Assault Allegations

Swig & Swine Will Be Back In Business Soon

Too Cool to Juul

• News

Hurricane Florence’s After Effects

• News

Video Games Are Not To Blame

Emmys Proposal Shocks Nation

Historic Ruling: India Lifts Ban on Homosexuality

• News

Mass Shooting at Madden Gaming Tournament