Former USA olympic doctor sentenced to 175 years in prison

Larry Nassar in court listening to his sentencing being handed down by the judge

Since 2014, former Michigan State and United State Olympics gymnastics doctor, Larry Nassar, has been under investigation for sexually abusing females patients. Since then, he has pleaded guilty to seven counts of criminal sexual misconduct, pleaded guilty on charges of child pornography in late 2017, and is in total now going to serve 175 years in a federal penitentiary.

In that almost four year span, he had been under investigation for possible sexual assault after patients began reporting that he sexually abused them. While he was still under investigation, he was still allowed to continue seeing female athletes and his gymnasts under the protection of Michigan State University. Many of the female victims that came to the university requesting help and pleading that people look into the situation were ignored such as one of Nassar’s first victims, Rachael Denhollander.

Denhollander was the first of Nassar’s victims to publicly come forward and tell her story about what happened when she went to see Nassar. She had said in her statement to the court, “At age 15, when I suffered from chronic back pain, Larry sexually assaulted me repeatedly under the guise of medical treatment for nearly a year.” She was the last of his victims to read their testimony to the judge  before Nassar was sentenced.

Along with Denhollander, two time olympic gold medalist in gymnastics, Aly Raisman also came forward to tell her story. Her testimony at the trial may have been one of the most influential for how direct she was with Nassar. In the testimony she said, “I am here to face you, Larry…you do realize now that we, this group of women you so heartlessly abused over such a long period of time, are now a force and you are nothing”.

After Nassar had been tried and sentenced, it was very much like a domino effect of others being linked to the abuse. Shortly after the trial, Michigan State University president Lou Anna Simon resigned from the university because of the scandal and how she handled the whole situation. Many of the victims that had been students at Michigan State that went to coaches asking for help have now accused her of trying to cover up the abuse and defend Nassar.

Along with Simon resigning, the USA gymnastics training center also called “The Karolyi Ranch” in Texas closed shortly after Nassar was sentenced in Michigan last week. Another well known Olympic gold gymnast, Simone Biles, has discussed how she has gone through the abuse at “The Ranch” along with many other gymnasts training for the Olympics. The governor of Texas, Greg Abbott (R), has announced that he wants a full investigation into what took place at the training facility and has now involved the Texas Rangers. 

Nassar had been apart of  USA gymnastics for 30 years and Michigan State for 20 and had betrayed the trust of all his patients. He had sexually abused over 120 patients but now will never step foot outside of prison walls for the rest of his life.