Glits, Glam, Scams, and Grammys!

This year’s sixtieth annual Grammy Award celebration was held in Madison Square Garden, New York and was hosted by actor, comedian, and TV show host James Corden on January 28, 2018. Each year, of course, the prestigious award show is always bigger and better than its previous year. 2018 was no different being packed full of surprises, breaking and setting records and overall, exceeding everyone’s expectations.

The award show reckoned for music appreciation started its big night with an artist music owes a great bid of appreciation to, Kendrick Lamar. Lamar, nominated in seven categories, began his performance standing in front of the American Flag with dancers surrounding him dressed in soldiers uniforms (Billboard). Kendrick Lamar fell one nomination short to Jay-Z, leading the night with eight total nominations. However, Lamar beat out his rap competitor winning Album of the Year for his project “Damn”. Album of the Year was Kendrick’s only accolade of the night, while to most peoples’ surprise, Jay-Z did not take any of his eight nominations home.

Following Lamar’s powerful, pro-black performance came Bruno Mars. Mars, performed in the later half of the night alongside Cardi B with their #1 single “Finesse”. However, Grammy veteran appeared on stage many times throughout the night as he won a whopping six awards. Mars took home the most awards for the night with an award for every category he was nominated in (ABC News).

Aside from the thrill of the performances and parties, however, this year the Grammy attendees all banned together for a purpose bigger than music. Most of the event’s inductees wore fabrics covered or embellished in white roses as a part of the #MeToo hashtag for the ‘Time’sUp” campaign created by entertainers in Hollywood standing up and fighting against sexual harassment in the industry(Vox). This movement led powerful speeches and bold performances. One of the night’s most talked about performance was Kesha’s “Praying”. Kesha led the ballad, which was nominated for in two categories, alongside Julia Michaels, Andra Day, and many other female vocalists all dressed in white. The piece was arguably the night’s most moving performance, ending with the girls crying on stage and holding hands with Kesha. Another major performance of the night saw rapper, Logic, perform his suicide awareness single “1(800) 273-8255” with Grammy winner of Best New Artist Alessia Cara. Alessia Cara, winning her first Grammy, was also, to the mass audience disappointment, was the night’s only female winner throughout the three-and-a-half-hour-long production. Even though, music’s newest female artist SZA was the sixtieth annual award show’s most nominated woman of the night, she walked away empty handed.

The show kicked off with a bang and ended with an even bigger explosion.

In the closing of the show, the Grammys gave away a mass total of eighty-four trophies to artists, writers, production artists, producers, and the teams supporting them. However, while there were many familiar faces, a few notable celebrities missed out on the event. Taylor Swift and bestie Selena Gomez were of the few who dashed the festivities. As this is the first time Taylor was not nominated for a Grammy, fans wonder if that was the reason for absence. Justin Beiber, on the other hand, was up for a few awards in connection to the song “Despacito” with Latin duo Daddy Yankee and Fonsi, yet he did not attend the ceremony. Yankee and Fonsi still performed the song, including Justin’s part, without Justin. With all the twist and turns, political statements, and women’s rights movements acknowledged at this year’s sixtieth Grammys, one can only wonder what will be next for the 2019 Grammys Award show.