Ashley Ridge’s 2018-2019 Block Schedule

Ashley Ridge Logo website: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Ridge_High_School

At Ashley Ridge High School, Ms. Radcliffe, our principal, is beginning to prepare our school year of 2018-2019 with a whole new block schedule: An A/B schedule. Students have been curious of how the schedule is going to work and the effects it may cause towards their education. Here is how the A/B schedule works:

The schedule will be divided into two days: A Day and B Day. Students will only have four classes to take, instead of eight on a regular school schedule, within a school day. Mrs. Cantrell, a Biology teacher at Ashley Ridge High School, said,”Each class will be approximately 90 minutes long with ILT being shortened to 45 minutes.”

The main purpose of the block schedule is that students will be less stressed out, just having to retain information in only four classes per day. Students would gain higher achievements faster and easier in fewer and longer class periods. It would give the student a chance to get adjusted to the particular subject.

Some students don’t like block schedules because of the fact that they’re staying in the same classes for long periods of time. It also could cause a student to get bored and take them off task. Long class periods can effect students both positively and negatively.

Markele Perkins, a student currently at Ashley Ridge High School, said, “I’m not too happy about this upcoming schedule for next year because it’s really going to confuse me and I don’t know how it’s going to effect me and my classes”.

We can find new and different ways to teach ourselves that a block schedule can be helpful, especially when it comes to college. If you’re planning to go to college, it’s best to be prepared for long classes. Spending a lot of time in a classroom would raise your chances of getting a good education.