Should schools have more security?

https://www.google.com/search?q=security&safe=strict&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqip7BocnZAhWE7FMKHRAMAMcQ_AUICygC&biw=1040&bih=878#imgrc=zZE1lZ8T6kGMVM:

Tyra Elliott

Ever since the mass shooting that happened in Florida. People began to question if schools should have more security in and around the schools.

The Ridge sat down with Martin Blacklocke to discuss the question. “It would be great to have more security, but there would be some budget issues.” Blacklocke said. It would be amazing, but the school is just to big. If it was a smaller school, there would be no problem, but since the school is big, it would be a problem.

Schools are safe for everyone. “I feel safe and comfortable here. It’s welcoming, but we aren’t just laid back. We are on alert.” Blacklocke said. Once every few months, teacher tend to take a class on how to stop an intruder. “We want them to protect the kids.” Blacklocke said. “We would want them to stop an intruder, but we don’t want them to run at them when they have a weapon.”

Every school has a lockdown drill. When it happens, the students are suppose to go to a wall called a “Safe wall” that is away from the door and windows. “We want our students to be safe. If they don’t have a safe wall, then the best thing to do is to get away from doors and windows and hide.” Blacklocke said.

No one knows when a school shooting is going to happen, but there are some ways to try and prevent it. Before the shooting happened in Florida, some people had reported Cruz, but no one did anything.”If there is a student that seems to be a little off, a teacher reports it to us and we try to help the student out.” Blacklocke said.

Schools should let everyone use their ID to get in the building. Once they enter, they should let officers or administratiors check their bags to make sure there are no weapons. Doors in and outside of the school should be locked. Every once a month, the school should at least do some training exercises, even students.

In conclusion, schools should have more security to keep everyone safe and unharmed.