Preparing for the ACT

ACT Test. Credit: http://galined.com/archives/what-is-the-pre-act

The ACT is an important test to juniors in high school and preparation for it is a huge deal. Just this past Tuesday, Ashley Ridge High School took the ACT. The Ridge spoke with some teachers and students to discuss how they prepared for it.

The American College Test, otherwise known as the ACT, is a test that prepares students for college and lets teachers know if they are ready for the intense work. The test covers the English language, including grammar, reading, and writing. Along with this, the ACT covers science and math.

Mrs. Simmons, an English teacher, says, “I use the four weeks leading up to the test to prepare.” She also says that one way they prepare is through doing a complete ACT workshop, which helps students understand the time factor and skills being tested.

Primarily, she uses USA Test Prep. Using this allows students to have a self-tutoring system that determines weak areas. USA Test Prep encourages students to come in during ILT to review what they are struggling in with their teacher.

Donavon Jensen, a junior who took the ACT Wednesday, says, “[The test] was easy in the beginning, but got harder in the end.” He goes on to say, “the math and science was the worst part because most of it was stuff I felt I didn’t learn.” However, the English portion of the test was the easiest for him.

The only thing that truly stressed Jensen out was the time. It was easy for him to get through the English and math portion, but once he got to the science section, the work was harder and took more time. Overall, though, the test wasn’t too hard for him.

In the classroom, students prepared with practice tests that helped Jensen relax for the ACT. He goes on to say that Mr. Speer made the entire process easier.

Mrs. Simmons says that she felt the response from everyone was very positive. “We’re thankful for the exposure,” she says. She believes that using USA Test Prep was very beneficial and that even the students that were worried about time came out with a positive attitude.

If Mrs. Simmons could do anything differently, though, it would be time management. Many students stressed about this and she feels as if she could have done more to help them prepare for that. She also wishes that she focused more on what colleges were looking for and what kind of scholarships her kids could get. It was something she did last year and she feels that it was beneficial to her classes.

The biggest thing to remember, as Jensen says, is to “think about what you want to do in life and what you want in college before you take the test. Take it seriously because it’s an opportunity. Try your best and don’t guess on questions.”