Myrtle Beach Faces High Bacterial Levels

sign myrtle beach swimming advisory https://www.whoi.edu/main/topic/beach-closures

According to the northern side of Myrtle Beach, high bacteria levels have been detected in Myrtle Beach’s water. With the result of this, Health Officials had to issue a “No Swimming Advisory” to monitor the water conditions. This has been happening since June of 2017.

There are bacterias, such as E. Coli and Fecal Coliform, whose presence can indicate water contaminated by human or even animal wastes. These can cause the following symptoms: cramps, headaches, nausea, diarrhea and much more. People, including children and elders, with weaker immune systems, will be at a higher risk of dying when ingesting these bacterias.

S. C. Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) issued the “No Swimming Advisory” to keep people out of the waters and away from the dangers of the bacteria. Here are some examples of diseases you can receive from water bacteria: Waterborne disease, Legionnaires’ disease, and Cholera. These diseases may or will lead to serious illnesses or even death.

A woman, Marsha Barnes Beal, and her mother, Bonita Fetterman, went on vacation to Myrtle Beach one day and Beal claimed there was a dead flesh-eating bacteria, known as Necrotizing fasciitis, in the water. At that time, Fetterman has been hospitalized while taking a vacation in Myrtle Beach. Beal states, “She came in contact with a life-threatening flesh-eating bacteria after putting her feet in the water. Surgery is the only option until it’s completely cut away from her leg, with the hopes of it not spreading”. (Fox News)

DHEC tends to try their best to keep us informed of what’s going on with the environment for our safety, health, etc. They collect water samples routinely to make sure the water doesn’t contain any harmful bacteria while people are swimming in the beach’s water. If it does, DHEC will close that portion of the beach and will advise them not to swim there. DHEC has been monitoring beaches ever since 1998.

Makenzie Thompson, a sophomore student who is currently attending Ashley Ridge High School, said, “I love the beach! After finding out about the bacteria in the waters, I don’t think I would ever want to go back. I don’t want to claim a disease from the water that’s effected by bacteria!”

Just because there is an advisory, that doesn’t mean the entire beach is closed. Instead of swimming, there are many other activities people can do as an alternative while spending time at the beach. They can walk dogs, fly kites, have a picnic, play sports, grab some ice cream, get a tan, or to just hang out with friends. The beach doesn’t always have to be a place just to swim.