Ashley Ridge’s Broadcasting Class

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dbroadcasting%26safe%3Dstrict%26rlz%3D1C1CHBD_enUS789US789%26source%3Dlnms%26tbm%3Disch%26sa%3DX%26ved%3D0ahUKEwi4tJ7s8_jZAhVMu1MKHUu0AsgQ_AUICygC%26biw%3D1040%26bih%3D754%23imgrc%3DmXe9WX7vTtgVGM%3A
https://www.google.com/search?q=broadcasting&safe=strict&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS789US789&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4tJ7s8_jZAhVMu1MKHUu0AsgQ_AUICygC&biw=1040&bih=754#imgrc=mXe9WX7vTtgVGM:

Tyra Elliott

Broadcasting is all over the world and is also a class students can take in highschool, to prepare for the real world of broadcast. The Ridge sat down with Kathleen Causey to talk about the class.

“I got the idea from a class that had already started it in Summervile.” Causey said. “I thought it would be great if Ashley Ridge had one as well. I want the school to have a TV program. Hopefully it will start next year.”

Broadcasting is different from journalism due to technology such as cameras, microphones, and green screens. “We have some technology, but we need a lot more,”Causey said, “We also need some students who are responsible to work on projects and get them in on time.”

The school is still working on how the class will be. “We don’t know where it will take place due to next year’s schedule, but it will be part of the school,” Causey said, “Admin is still discussing about how the  structures will be.”

As of right now, Juniors and Seniors will be able to take the class. “It’s for those who are interested into broadcasting, whether it’s behind the camera or in front of it,” Causey said, “We won’t just show students how to do it, we want the students to discipline themselves to get the work done because there are deadlines.”

The rules of the class will be like other classes, but no tests. “The rules will be on editing, doing interviews, writting copies, and filming them,” Causey said, “Once they learn, those who want to be in front of the camera, will be able to tell the story.”

“We plan on producing school news, athletic news, and hopefully talk about local issues,” Causey said, “Once we do, we will send a link to teachers for students to watch on the smartboard.”

The class will  help improve some of the student’s skills to be preapared for actual broadcasting. “It will improve their speaking skills and it would help them with some broadcasting classes in colleges that they want to take,” Causey said, “It will even give them confidence in themselves.”

Once broadcasting starts, hopefully it will expand and get more students to join the class and be part of the school. “It will prepare students for the outside world of Broadcasting,” Causey said, “If it happens, I’ll be very excited.”

Tanner Myers, a sophmore at Ashley Ridge High School, is taking the class next year as a junior. “I’m taking it because it sounds fun!” Myres said, “It will improve my writing skills and I will be able to have my voice be heard by the school.”