Why Heathers(2018) Will Be A Terrible Re-Make

"God, Heather! Did you eat a brain tumor for breakfast?"

The cast of HEATHERS from l to r lead

The cast of HEATHERS from l to r lead "Heather" Heather Chandler (Melanie Field), Heather Duke (Brendan Scannell) and Heather McNamara (Jasmine Matthews). HEATHERS, a new pitch-black comedy series based on the movie of the same name, premieres on Paramount Network starting Wednesday, March 7 at 10 pm, ET/PT.

In the recent theme of remaking every movie ever made, 1989’s cult classic, Heathers, is the next movie to fall victim to “re-make mania” with a 10 episode series set to premiere on the Paramount Network.

Despite the show having yet to be released, it’s obvious that Heathers(2018) will be a massive failure; here’s why:

Current Political Climate:

The main plot of Heathers is about two teenagers killing their classmates. At the time of it’s 1989 release, this was a new and unique topic. It worked because the world had never seen anything like it, it was so out of the ordinary; no one believed kids could or would actually brutally murder their peers. Living in a post-Columbine world, we’ve become almost desensatized to the murder of children. Airing a show about the murders of teens in a world where there seems to be a new school shooting every few months isn’t the greatest idea put to paper.

Unoriginal

When Heathers debuted for the first time, it was ment to be a satire on the campy John Hughes teen dramas that dominated the 80’s. It took the movie stereotypes of the time and flipped them on their head. In most films at the time you had:

• The angsty male protagonist who actually had a heart of gold.
  • Said male protagonist showing the shy female lead how to let go a little and live.
  • The mean popular clique who only exist in the movie to be evil.

Instead, Heathers goes out of its way to break these stereotypes. The angsty guy with the heart of gold turns out to actually be a physcopath (a trope later used in 1990’s Scream.) Veronica, the female lead, is attracted to J.D., the angst filled boy, but she soon learns of his true nature. The whole last act of the movie is all about her trying to stop him from killing everyone! The popular clique, while they are mean, are actually quite sympothetic characters. Heather Chandler is constantly objectified, Heather Duke suffers from an eating disorder, and Heather McNamara is suicidal. So many teen films these days have taken points from Heathers and broken the stereotypes too. Films like previously mentioned ScreamMean Girls, and The Craft all feature ideas inspired from Heathers. Because so many films have done this now, re-making Heathers is like beating a dead horse.

It’s “Progressive”

Heathers(2018) Showrunner Jason Micallef told Entertainment Weekly, “The reason I changed the Heathers surface identities is I think today [the characterization] rings true. Today, all different types of people are more aspirational. People that wouldn’t have necessarily been considered the most popular kids in school in 1988 could very well be — and probably most likely are — the more popular kids today.” This is possibly the most ignorant and tone-deaf thing to ever come out of a persons mouth. The origional Heathers were supposed to be white, pretty, and rich; they were meant to represent privledge and that’s why they get away with everything they do in the film. By making the Heather’s previously (and arguably still) oppressed individuals in an attempt to be “progressive” is like taking no steps foward and 6 steps back.  The Heathers are one of the main antagonists of the film. Micallef thinks he’s a genius by making them the most popular kids in school, but what he’s really doing is taking these oppressed groups and showing them in a negative light. And does Micallef really think fat-shaming, homophobia, and rascism have died out since he’s been in highschool? Sounds like someone needs a serious reality check.

Change in genre

Heathers is arguably most loved for it’s pitch black comedy that requires a few viewings to fully understand. The jokes were smart and didn’t beg to be noticed. Just by viewing the trailer alone, it’s quite clear that the re-make is going a completely different route. The trailer throws raunchy “shock humor” left and right. It’s more American Pie than Heathers. It seems to be a complete genre change. It’s almost like the writers were thinking, “Look at these teenage kids saying questionable and offensive things that they shouldn’t be saying! This is exactly what people find funny!” Maybe some do enjoy kids competing on who can swear the most, but that is not the smart satirical comedy that original Heathers fans deserve.

The worst part about this remake is the fact that it actually had potential. It had the chance to present some new ideas, to make social commentary, or to at least introduce a new generation to such an iconic film. But instead it chose to be a paint by numbers remake that literally nobody asked for. Now whether you agree with anything you’ve read or not, hopefully you can understand that remakes and reboots are yet another pointless cash grab that Hollywood cranks out. Instead of redoing an already widely known film, how about we do something new for once?