The JUUL and E-Cig Epidemic

Jaylin Gil

Teenagers all over the country are catching on to a new “cool trend” called vaping. Many students are using a specific type of e-cig called a JUUL. Not only is this causing health issues among teens, but it is also causing education violations in schools.

An e-cig is a cigarette-shaped device containing a nicotine-based liquid that is vaporized and inhaled, used to simulate the experience of smoking tobacco.

According to many sources online, JUULs and other popular e-cigs are extremely addictive, cause numerous amounts of health issues,  and slowly destroys your body over time. One online source from CNN states that many young adults and teenagers believe that JUUL’s are completely harmless and is a better alternative than cigarettes, but studies show that just one JUUL “pod” has an equivalent amount of nicotine as an entire pack of cigarettes.

Besides the health issues arising because of e-cigs,  JUULs are taking over high school bathrooms. JUULs are very discreet and can be easily hidden; many students are taking advantage of this. These e-cigs can be so well concealed that some students are even using them during class. This is a major problem as it is distracting to the person using it and the students around that person.

Not many students are caught using the JUULs in school or having them on campus, but the ones that are have been facing serious consequences. Considering that all tobacco products are not allowed or permitted on school grounds, students have even been facing suspension when caught.

There have even been experiences of this at Ashley Ridge High School. An administrator at ARHS claims that he is aware of what JUULs are and how students have been abusing them. Teachers and administrators are very mindful of the problem of e-cigs that has been rising over the past several years. So much so that on average, 1-2 students are caught with JUULs or other e-cigs per week and have been punished.