Fortnite Vs PUBG: The Legal Side

Fortnite Vs PUBG: The Legal Side

Marcus

Marcus

Marcus

New Battle Royale Modes have revolutionized gaming, but having creators with so much power means it’s easy to accuse anyone of copying their work. The growth of Battle Royale all started with the first widely popular Battle Royal game Player Unknown Battlegrounds(PUBG), but shortly after the market became flooded with competitors trying their own spin on the concept. The biggest competitor being FortNite which added a free battle royale mode shortly after the success of PUBG’s.

Player Unknown Battlegrounds has not been afraid to take other game creators to court over using similar ideas. They have actually done so several times, and don’t seem to be showing signs of slowing down. The real question that players have been having is “Will they take FortNite to Court?”, and the internet has been up in arms over the controversy. It all started when an instagram user made a fake tweet from the official FortNite Twitter sayingDue to a lawsuit against PubG on copyright infringement. We are sorry to inform you that Fortnite Battle Royale Will be coming to an end May 20 2018. Save the world will still be in development and we will roll out ASAP. Thank you all for the support.”. This sent FortNite players into a state of panic, because shortly after the fake tweet went viral the fortnite servers went down for maintenance and no one was able to play online without any explanation. Ashley Ridge Senior Jaxon Salam has over 30 hours and twelve wins on the game. When asked how he felt about the tensions between the two games he said “It’s really stupid that they are trying to sue them for doing something similar, only because they do it better. The building mechanics add a whole new level of depth that PUBG will never have that’s why there are more players on fortnite.”

The games are different enough where it just tetters on the line of being the same thing. Fortnite has a more cartoony art style with no blood, and a lower ESRB rating of Teen while PUBG is M for more mature audiences. Fortnite has more total players(Over 45 Million), but PUBG is not far behind passing over 30 Million. The popular opinion liens in favor of FortNite because of the substantial lead in player count, but in court its all the judges decision on what is too similar.

The fight to be the biggest Battle Royale game is only heating up more and more, but with the battle leaving the controller and entering the courtroom there is no telling what will happen with Fortnite’s future. Players can only hope that the two games will continue to coexist peacefully.