Anxiety Help

Sophia Dingmon

You’re in school. There are busy halls, stressful assignments, hard tests, and “patience testing” peers.

You’re in your home. There’s confusing homework, arguing family members, and too many chores that need to be done.

All of this is overwhelming. School, and even your own home, can be a jungle. Anxiety is no joke, and it’s hard to take control over.

Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illnesses, affecting 25% of all teens. Anxiety disorders are treatable, but only a few teens suffering get treatment. Here are some helpful tips:

1. Breathe deeply. Inhale to the count of four, exhale to the count of four, and repeat. Anxiety makes your entire body restless and makes your breathing irregular. Breathing to a specific count and focusing your mind activates your body’s relaxation response.
  2. Accept it. Anxiety is simply another emotion and feeling. Know that being anxious or having anxiety is normal and doesn’t make you different or weirder than anyone else. Once you realize that anxiety is normal and can be controlled, then you can start to relax and breathe more easily.
  3. Question your thoughts. Usually when you are having an anxiety attack or feeling anxious or nervous, a billion irrational thoughts go in and out of your mind. For instance, when you forget to study for a test and it’s worth 50% of your grade, you start to think, “I’m going to fail,” or “I’m going to die,” or “I can’t do this. I’ll end up homeless and on the street.” When you think something like this, question it. No one has ever died from failing a test.
  4. Visualize happiness. We’ve all heard the saying, “Go to your happy place”. Well, do it. Visualize that you’re safe on a pretty beach, surrounded by flowers and trees, or even in the comfort of your own bed.
  5. Focus on the present. When someone is anxious, they’re usually focusing on what could happen in the future. Try to focus on the present and what’s happening in the moment around you. The worst thing to do is to obsess over what’s to come instead of what’s already good and here.

Below are some free apps to also help:

• Headspace
  • Calm Harm
  • Pacifica
  • Moodpath

*All apps have been used and approved to help.

About the Writer
Sophia Dingmon, Journalist and Editor

Sophia Dingmon is a sophomore at ARHS and has been a journalist and editor for the newspaper for 2 years. She mostly writes and edits for the Student Life section. Sophia was born September 7, 2002, here in Summerville. She loves music of any kind. Her dream is to go to Charleston Southern and major in music therapy. She loves the color blue, the season autumn, Italian food, and her favorite book is Delirium by Lauren Oliver. Sophia loves her family, God, and her friends. Sophia thanks you for being a part of and supporting The Ridge!