Ashley Ridge Cross Country Kicks off 2018 Season

By: Zoe Orechwa

Zoe Orechwa, Contributor

The Ashley Ridge Cross Country team officially started their season with a meet at Fort Dorchester High School on Wednesday, August 29th. Schools participating in the meet included Fort Dorchester, Ashley Hall, Ashley Ridge and Colleton County High School in Walterboro. After the race, medals were awarded to the top ten male and female runners.

ARHS Cross Country

Betsy Erickson (right) and Allie Karges (left)

Finishing strong for the girls was Betsy Erickson in first place and Allie Karges, who finished 10th in the women’s division. For the boys, 4 Ashley Ridge runners finished in the top 10. Male medal-earners were Garrett Grochowski, Nic Danielski, Russell Sammons, and Brandon Clark.

ARHS Cross Country

Freshman team members (left to right): Zoe Orechwa, Ivan Richter, Anna

The Ashley Ridge Cross-Country team includes students in every grade and every level. Jace Holbrook, a sophomore said, “I chose Cross Country to stay in shape for baseball and start a new sport, and this is my second year.” Jace’s goal is to be on the Varsity Team and to finish a 5k in 18 minutes. Freshman Hailey Brinson says she just loves to run. “I ran my first 5k when I was 4 years old, and this is my third year on the Ashley Ridge team,” she told us. “My goal this season is to stay healthy and make it through the whole season.”

Freshman Ivan Richter has been running for about a year and hopes to improve in the 2018 season, and Junior Grant Allison says that while he’s been running since he was 10, his hope this season is to get faster and more fit.

The Ashley Ridge Cross Country team also participated in the Bob Jenkins Classic on Saturday, September 8th in Columbia, South Carolina. The meet included over 3,000 runners. Ashley Ridge Cross Country Coach Jeff Plane told the runners it would be good preparation for the regional meet at the end of the season. Upcoming meets include the Mike Moore Invitational on September 15th and the Low Country Invitational on the 29th

About the Writer
Zoe Orechwa, Contributor

Freshman Zoe Orechwa is in her first year as a Contributor to The Ridge. Before coming to Ashley Ridge, Zoe lived in Atlanta and Kona, on the Big Island...