Hurricane Florence’s After Effects

Jessica Townsend

Last week’s hurricane was not a major threat to most South Carolinians, but North Carolina has been dealt an intense blow. South Carolina had some minor flooding, power outages, and a few fallen trees. However, in North Carolina, Florence caused “massive flooding that closed a portion of Interstate 95 and sent emergency workers scrambling to rescue hundreds from chest-high waters in New Bern” (postandcourier). Governor Roy Cooper says that sixteen rivers are flooded as of Tuesday, September 18. Unfortunately, in the aftermath, the water that flooded North Carolina is going to start making its way downstream, causing “catastrophic” river flooding in areas of South Carolina.

There have been thirty-seven victims so far. Twenty-seven in North Carolina, eight in South Caroline, and two in Virginia. In addition to the human death toll, 1.3 million chickens have been killed in NC after the broiler houses flooded (cbs).

Operation BBQ Relief is producing 50,000 meals a day for the victims in need of food. Additionally, Michael Jordan has donated $2 million to hurricane relief.  The owner of NBA Charlotte Hornets is donating “$1 million each to the American Red Cross and the Foundation For The Carolinas’ Hurricane Florence Response Fund.” Over 100 members of the Hornets’ organization are packing 5,000 food boxes to be shipped to North and South Carolina. Other citizens can help by purchasing a Carolina Strong shirt, in which all the proceeds will go to the foundations fund. (cbs)

About the Writer
Jessica Townsend, writer/editor

Jessica Townsend is currently a sophomore at ARHS. This is her second year working on the school paper. She is presently an editor and writer of world...