Bring on Fall, Y’all!

Autumn leaves. Credit: http://www.entremediosweb.com/el-viento-sur-enfria-la-manana/

Sierra Wilson, Editor

Chilly weather, falling leaves, and late night bonfires are just around the corner. The sound of crunching leaves underfoot is vaguely heard in the near distance and an overwhelming sense of joy fills the air. Whip out the sweaters and scarves; fall is on its way!

Personally speaking, fall is without a doubt the best time of the year. For residents of South Carolina, the weather is either too hot or too cold. We melt in spring and summer like we’re boiling in a pot of stew, and we ice over in winter like we’ve made our homes inside a meat freezer. Our only saving grace is fall. It’s the friend we need, even if we don’t deserve it.

The other morning, I went outside and looked around–really looked–and I nearly stopped breathing when I saw yellowing leaves. Though it’s still miserably hot, it’s an official sign of fall. It’s just outside our grasps; we only need to stretch a little farther to touch it.

I can’t wait to burn large piles of leaves or crunch them with my heel. There’s nothing more satisfying than the light sound of a crackling leaf and you can’t convince me otherwise.

Snuggle weather isn’t even the best part of fall, though. It’s Halloween! Undeniably, I’m too old to go trick-or-treating anymore – what a bummer. There really shouldn’t be an age limit on dressing up for candy – but thankfully, there are other activities for teenagers who, like me, are dying of boredom.

For those looking for a good scare, Boone Hall opens up and TV provides an endless supply of horror movies. Silence of Lamb? The Conjuring? I think yes.

You can’t forget about the fluffier tales like Corpse Bride or The Nightmare Before Christmas. Doing so is a sin.

Though teenagers can’t really go trick-or-treating anymore, we still have an excuse to dress up: scaring trick-or-treaters. I love the twist of horror on their faces when a clown leaps out from the shadows or an otherwise motionless figure suddenly jumps up and grabs them.

Or, you could be nice and just dress up to pass out candy, but there’s no fun in that.

Having four different seasons is great and all, but have you really taken the time to appreciate the little heaven that is fall?

About the Writer
Sierra Wilson, Writer/Editor

Sierra Wilson is a sophomore at Ashley Ridge and is currently the editor of editorials. She has been writing her whole life, but only recently started writing as a journalist two years ago. Writing has always been her passion, and currently she is working toward writing her first novel and publishing it. She strives to reach her goal of going to Northwestern University and double majoring in journalism and creative writing. Though writing is her livelihood, Sierra also enjoys horseback riding, playing piano, and reading. She loves watching musicals like Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, and Heathers. Sierra hopes to continue writing articles the public will enjoy and wants this year to be another great one to add to her memories.