Tiger Woods: The Comeback

By: Wayne Mizell

Tiger Woods: The Comeback

Wade Mizell, Editor

Everyone knows Tiger Woods in some way, shape, or form. He is a guy who changes a game. He will even make someone watch golf because he is just that good at what he does.

Woods was an upcoming superstar starting in his childhood years. From his videos of hitting the golf ball to becoming one of the youngest to ever win the Masters Championship in April of 1997 at just 21 years old.

Since then, he has come a very long way.

June 2000. Pebble beach. Woods won by a margin of 15 strokes to capture his first U.S Open Championship. His 15-shot margin was the biggest ever in major championship history.

Less than a year later: April 2001. Woods had the chance to control every major at the same time, and he completed his career grand slam just months ago. It was incredible for one player to have all of the biggest trophies in golf. When you when all four majors and get the career grand slam you join a group of 5 players, Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, and Tiger Woods.

He won tournament after tournament, but in 2007, he tore his ACL. Despite this, he went on to win five of his next six tournaments with an ACL tear, including winning the PGA Championship again.

In 2008, he won the British Open before taking eight months away from the game to heal his knee. By this time, he had won many major championships, including the Master’s, the U.S. Open, the British Open, and the PGA Championship.

After the recovery process, Woods’ career started falling apart. He and his wife divorced, and he didn’t play or win until March of 2012–four years of not winning for arguably the best golfer of all time.

Next came the back problems in 2014, which would almost end his career. In 2015, he underwent two more back surgeries and 2016 brought back spasms. He had his fourth back surgery in 2017, which seemed to help.

In May of 2017, he was arrested. He was arrested for DUI. He was taking 5 different drugs and fell asleep at the wheel when police found him.

In 2018, he made his return to golf much to the surprise of many.

His life started turning around as he started competing in tournaments again: he finished 2nd at the PGA Championship, had a chance at the British Open, and then the FedEx Cup playoffs started. He went wire to wire to win the 80th tournament of his career at the tour championship.

In September 2018, he was selected to play on the Ryder Cup team–an event every two years between the best European players and American players.

Woods made an impressive impact to the game of golf, and most are happy to see him play again.

His career stats: 80 PGA tour wins, second only to Sam Snead, and 14 major championships, second only to Jack Nickolas. An undeniably impressive career, and all of his fans are cheering him on.