Everything, Everything: Book vs. Movie

Everything, Everything: Book vs. Movie

Sophia Dingmon, Journalist, Editor

Everything, Everything is a novel written by Nicola Yoon and published September 1, 2015. It’s about an 18-year-old girl, Maddy Whittier, who has been diagnosed with SCID, or severe combined immunodeficiency. This is a genetic disorder that weakens the immune system. Because of Maddy’s disease, everything and everyone around her has to be clean and sanitized; In her entire life, she has never left her home.

A new neighbor, Olly Bright, finds himself wanting a relationship with Maddy, not letting her illness stop them. They form a bond through texting and gazing through their windows. This strong bond leads them to risk everything in order for them to be together.

In 2017, Everything, Everything was made into a motion picture directed by Stella Meghie. Amandla Stenberg is cast as Maddy Whittier and Nick Robinson is cast as Olly Bright.

The book and the movie are alike in many ways, but there are also many differences.

The well known star, Nick Robinson, doesn’t quite physically convey the Olly that the readers know and love. In the book, Olly has “Atlantic blue eyes”, but in the movie, Olly has brown eyes. Also, his hair is not right because in the book, he doesn’t have any; He shaved his head before he moved next door to Maddie, telling her it was a “bad decision.”

Also, in the book, there are some scenes cut out and some new scenes put into the movie. In the book, Olly doesn’t put thousands of photos of oceans on her wall, although it’s a sweet gesture. In the movie, there’s no scene of when Olly shows Maddie his elaborate Bundt cake experiment through his window.

There’s a big understanding that movies can’t completely capture the full details of the book. Some movies simply shred the book, pick up the pieces, and put them into a moving picture; Everything, Everything is not one of those. The film adaption was very impressive when it came to sticking to the story line and providing the viewer with the same emotions and attachments the readers felt.

Other than the small physical parts of Olly Bright and the little scenes readers held close to their hearts, the movie was definitely not a fail or a waste of 1 hour and 36 minutes. Thank you, Nicola Yoon for writing a captivating story full of risks and love, and thank you, Stella Meghie for bringing it to life.

About the Writer
Sophia Dingmon, Journalist and Editor

Sophia Dingmon is a sophomore at ARHS and has been a journalist and editor for the newspaper for 2 years. Sophia was born September 7, 2002, in Summerville, SC. Her dream is to go to Toccoa Falls College and major in music therapy; She loves all music and loves helping others. Sophia loves the color yellow, the season autumn, Italian food, and her favorite book is Delirium by Lauren Oliver. Sophia loves her family, God, and her friends. Sophia thanks you for being a part of and supporting The Ridge!