Transgender Americans Could be Losing More Rights

Photo Credit: morelightpresbyterian.org

Photo Credit: morelightpresbyterian.org

Photo Credit: morelightpresbyterian.org

Jessica Townsend, Editor

The Trump Administration has been considering changing the definition of gender into the sex one is assigned at birth. This goes against the Obama administration’s ruling a few years ago, in which a citizens sex was genetic, and their gender depended on their personal identity. If this new definition is accepted, transgender people would literally be written out of legal existence. This means that they could lose all of their rights and protections previously protected under the federal civil rights law.

Under this new law, a person’s gender would be determined by whether they were assigned male or female at birth, and “any dispute over one’s sex would have to be clarified using genetic testing” (nytimes). Even if someone has had surgery to match their gender, they’d still be classified by their birth sex.

These guidelines would eradicate federal recognition of an estimated 1.4 million Americans. Harper Jean Tobin, the policy director of the National Center for Transgender Equality, called the change, “an extremely aggressive legal position that is inconsistent with dozens of federal court decisions.”

If this law passes, it will have many serious effects on the lives of transgender Americans. It could determine which locker rooms, bathrooms, and sports teams they can be in. It may also require DNA testing as part of their educational experience (vox).

This is not the first time the Trump administration has tried to revoke transgender rights. In July 2017, Trump announced a ban on transgender people in the military. This ban was revoked, and yet, in nearly two years following, only two of the one-hundred-forty applicants have been accepted. Many have been put on a waiting list for nearly six months, and have been asked to bring in all their medical records, lab results, hormone records, and doctors credentials (nytimes). The administration has also revoked protections of transgender students in federal funded schools, rescinded a memo protecting trans workers, and stripped protections for trans prisoners.

Furthermore, in twenty six states, it is completely legal to discriminate against LGBT+ citizens in the workplace. In two more states, it is legal to discriminate against transgender workers, but not gay, lesbians, or bisexuals workers (lgbtmap).

Any people with objections to this proposal can call the DHHS Public Comments Line(202) 205-5445, or the DHHS Correspondance Line(202) 690-6392. The Justice Department will make its decision on this topic by the end of 2018.

About the Writer
Jessica Townsend, writer/editor

Jessica Townsend is currently a sophomore at ARHS. This is her second year working on the school paper. She is presently an editor and writer of world news. Townsend also takes a creative writing class, and enjoys to write in her free time as well. Other topics she enjoys are photography, art, and music. She also loves being around animals, and wants to live on a small farm some day. Townsend plans on going to a technical college to earn her associates degree in nursing, and move out to New Mexico.

1 Comment

One Response to “Transgender Americans Could be Losing More Rights”

1. Lisa Hendershott on October 30th, 2018 12:36 pm

I am so outraged at this. Jess, your article is great but the situation is infuriating. I am so mad to see Trump cause a setback for the LGBTQ community.

• Transgender Americans Could be Losing More Rights

Goat Yoga in Summerville

Pittsburgh Gunman Opens Fire in Synagogue

Soccer Star Daniel Correa Freitas Found Murdered

Offensive Memes Earning Prison Time

30 Injured after Floor Collapses at Clemson Frat Party

The Real Reason Pill Bottles Have Foil Seals

The Most Expensive Tweet in History

Bill Cosby Sent to Jail after 14 Years of Sexual Assault Allegations

Swig & Swine Will Be Back In Business Soon

Too Cool to Juul