Pittsburgh Gunman Opens Fire in Synagogue

Tree of Life synagogue. Credit: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2018/10/29/gab-goes-offline-pittsburgh-synagogue-shooting/1804582002/

Sierra Wilson, Editor

On Saturday, October 27th, 46-year-old Robert Bowers opened fire on the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh. He killed 11 people and injured six more, fired at police officers, and finally surrendered to be taken into custody.

CBS News says he has been, “charged with 11 counts of criminal homicide and 13 counts of ethnic intimidation.”

According to CBS News, Bowers had a hatred for Jews. Bowers said, “They’re committing genocide to my people. I just want to kill Jews.” Armed with an AR-15 and three handguns, he attacked the synagogue for 20 minutes before the police showed up and arrested him.

The head of the FBI’s office in Pittsburgh, Robert Jones, said Bower’s full motive is unclear, but worshipers were “brutally murdered by a gunman targeting them simply because of their faith.”

Wendell Hissrich, who is the city’s public safety director, described the crime scene as “horrific.” He said, “It’s one of the worst that I’ve seen, and I’ve been on some plane crashes. It’s very bad.”

CBS News goes on to say that Feds are attempting to get the death penalty approved. U.S. attorney Scott Brady says he’s started the process for attorney general Jeff Sessions’ approval. There have been multiple search warrants put in place for the investigation.

North Jersey says Teaneck police went to “each Jewish house of worship to personally tell them of the shooting.” Because it was Sabbath, a holy day for Jewish people, worshipers were not using electronics so officers wanted to be sure everyone was aware of what was happening.

Bowers appeared in court Monday at 1:30pm ET in Pittsburgh, according to CNN. He is currently being held without bond and is facing the possibility of the death penalty. He will have a preliminary hearing on Thursday.

About the Writer
Sierra Wilson, Writer/Editor

Sierra Wilson is a sophomore at Ashley Ridge and is currently the editor of editorials. She has been writing her whole life, but only recently started writing as a journalist two years ago. Writing has always been her passion, and currently she is working toward writing her first novel and publishing it. She wants to go to Northwestern University and double major in journalism and creative writing. Sierra hopes to continue writing articles the public will enjoy and wants this year to be another great one to add to her memories.