Mickey’s 90th Birthday

Sophia Dingmon, Journalist, Editor

An animated mouse with yellow shoes, red shorts with white buttons, big black ears, and white gloves. Does this sound familiar? Of course it does! Mickey Mouse has been easily recognizable and enjoyed for decades. Nine decades to be exact.

On November 18, 1928, Mickey Mouse was born from the artistic hands of Walt Disney. Walt Disney originally named the character “Mortimer Mouse”, but changed it after his wife, Lillian, liked the name Mickey.

Featured in Steamboat Willie, Mickey Mouse was a part of the first moving picture with synchronized sound. Immediately, families all over the world fell in love with Mickey and his polka-dotted partner Minnie Mouse.

In the span of fifty years, Mickey Mouse grew from being a beloved cartoon character to being the first beloved cartoon character with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

On November 4, 2018, Mickey’s 90th Spectacular was shown on ABC. It included many performers wishing Mickey and Minnie a very happy birthday. Singers like Sofia Carson, Tori Kelly, and Meghan Trainor sang Disney songs to honor Mickey’s ninety years including “Part of Your World” from The Little Mermaid (1989), “Colors of the Wind” from Pocahontas (1995), and “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” from Toy Story (1995).

On October 27, 1954, Walt Disney said, “I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing – that it was all started by a mouse.” (Brainy Quote) Well, it’s been ninety years and every generation will continue to celebrate the mouse that united so many generations who heard his contagious laugh and his heroic banter with Minnie. Long live Mickey!

About the Writer
Sophia Dingmon, Journalist and Editor

Sophia Dingmon is a sophomore at ARHS and has been a journalist and editor for the newspaper for 2 years. She mostly writes and edits for the Student Life section. Sophia was born September 7, 2002, here in Summerville. She loves music of any kind. Her dream is to go to Charleston Southern and major in music therapy. She loves the color blue, the season autumn, Italian food, and her favorite book is Delirium by Lauren Oliver. Sophia loves her family, God, and her friends. Sophia thanks you for being a part of and supporting The Ridge!