‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’ Ban

‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’ Ban

Sophia Dingmon, Editor

“Baby, It’s Cold Outside”, a 74-year-old Christmas song many “Holiday-ers” have enjoyed, has been banned from many radio stations. The 1944 song, written by Frank Loesser, has been analyzed and named unacceptable to be played.

A group of men in Cleveland, Ohio, read the lyrics and thought it was inappropriate to be played on their station due to the #MeToo movement led by women who want to stand up against sexual harassment and sexual assault.

Cleveland’s WDOK began the ban, but received a huge whiplash, including hundreds of emails wanting the song back. They saw no ‘date-rape’ warning bells, but saw innocent flirtation in the snow.

The songwriter’s daughter, Susan Loesser, spoke to NBC News, blaming Bill Cosby for the song’s controversy. She says, “Bill Cosby ruined it for everybody. Way before #MeToo, I would hear from time to time people call it a date-rape song. I would get annoyed because it’s a song my father wrote for him and my mother to sing at parties. But ever since Cosby was accused of drugging women, I hear the date rape thing all the time.”

She says her father would be furious with the decision to ban the song. Susan Loesser continues to say that the song needs to be viewed in the time period and context it was written in.

The Cleveland radio station who initially banned the song gave the excuse that it was “insensitive to the #MeToo movement.” The women who are a part of the movement replied, “We don’t need protection from men begging for sex. We don’t need protection from men whistling on the streets…We need people to hold men accountable who go too far or force sex or grab us by the privates…We don’t need men to censor songs on the radio as if women are helpless. We need men to not believe they have a right to sexual assault or harassment because it’s the way it’s been done.”

Since the ban whiplash on WODK, the radio station has put the song back on the playlist, but this hasn’t meant other radio stations will follow their lead; The controversy is still out there. Fans of the song might have to wait a little while to hear their Christmas favorite played on the radio once again.

About the Writer
Sophia Dingmon, Journalist and Editor

Sophia Dingmon is a sophomore at ARHS and has been a journalist and editor for the newspaper for 2 years. Sophia was born September 7, 2002, in Summerville,...