The NFL’s Need to Review Outdated Rules

Wade Mizell, Editor

The NFL is in a bad spot after the Divisional Round games, as two games that were very good were ruined by bad calls or the ability of fair play in OT.

On Sunday, many fans raised objections: “It’s not often that you can get 73,000 people to all agree on something, but everybody inside the Mercedez-Benz Superdome definitely agreed on one thing after the Rams’ stunning 26-23 win over New Orleans on Sunday: The Saints got hosed by one of the worst no-calls in NFL history.

With 1:49 left to play in a 20-20 game and the Saints facing a third-and-10 from the Rams’ 13-yard line, Drew Brees dropped back and threw a pass to TommyLee Lewis, and that’s when this happened.

Nickell Robey-Coleman obliterated Lewis well before the arrival of the ball on a play that screamed pass interference. As a matter of fact, there really wasn’t anyone who didn’t think it was pass interference.”

People are calling it the worst no-call in the history of the NFL. Watching it live was unbelievable. Not only was it pass interference, it was also helmet-to-helmet, which is another flag that could have been thrown.

This is going to hopefully change the rule to allowing a challenge of pass-interference calls and give the ability to challenge all flags in the coming years.

Now for the second game: Chiefs vs. Patriots, which also was a great game and went to overtime as well. This game ended with two teams on fire offensively and the winner of the coin toss would most likely win the game. The Patriots won the toss and immediately scored.

Ideally, the game should not come down to just who wins a coin toss. The Chiefs should have had a chance to tie the Patriots in overtime because they probably would have done the same thing. The NFL should change the overtime rule so that both teams get a chance to score. After both teams play one drive, the game then ends if a team scores more than the other; if it is still tied, they play until somebody wins.

The NFL has some things to think about after the Superbowl, but the NFL can only hope that there are not any extremely controversial calls in the last game of this season.