Trump’s and Fox News’ Relationship

Trump’s and Fox News’ Relationship

Sierra Wilson, Editor

There’s always at least one news source that each president is fond of and for President Trump, it’s Fox News. Is their relationship too strong, though? In an investigative article by Jane Mayer of The New Yorker titled, “The Making of the Fox News White House,” she answers this question.

According to her, Sean Hannity, host of Fox News, and Trump have an undeniable bond, giving the news source the upper hand in many situations. In fact, in a photo op in Hidalgo, Texas during the government shutdown, it was noted that Hannity was on scene before anyone else. He wasn’t being held back by the Secret Service like other news reporters and was even socializing with Administrative officials. Mayer writes, “Hannity was treated in Texas like a member of the Administration because he virtually is one.”

For Trump, Fox News has acted as “both shield and sword.” Through all of the controversy that surrounds him, the news station has stood by his side. It defends him without hesitation and Trump repeatedly retweets its claims for his own defense. According to Nicole Hemmer, an assistant professor of presidential studies at the University of Virginia’s Miller Center, “Fox is not just taking the temperature of the base – it’s raising the temperature. It’s a radicalization model.”

Bill Kristol, a previous contributor to Fox News up until 2012, said, “It’s changed a lot. Before, it was conservative, but it wasn’t crazy. Now it’s just propaganda.” Joe Peyronnin, an early president of Fox News in the mid-nineties said, “I’ve never seen anything like it before. It’s as if the president had his own press organization. It’s not healthy.”

The article is an hour-long read of details on the speculation of Trump’s and Fox News’ relationship. Is the president using the news station as a public boost? What is Fox News getting out of the relationship? One thing is certain: if they are benefiting from one another, it needs to come to an end.