Transgender Women Playing in Women’s Sports

Andraya Yearwood breezing past biological females in women's track at a highschool meet.

Green, Rick

Green, Rick

Green, Rick

Gavin Huston, Contributor

Transgender women have started playing women sports in Connecticut. This event has made a large amount of people angry, since the transgender women still have different levels of testosterone than their competitors — they easily take the cake unless they are going against each other. Since this event has made people angry, it has gone to the Supreme Court and may change the lives of transgender athletes everywhere.

Christina Holcomb, legal counsel for Alliance Defending Freedom, argues, “Women fought long and hard to earn the equal athletic opportunities that Title IX proves. Allowing boys to compete in girl’s sports reverses nearly 50 years of advances for women under this law. We shouldn’t force these young women to be spectators in their own sport,”(CBS News).

The case also centers on the question of whether the meaning of the word “sex” in Title VII, which prohibits employment discrimination because of sex, also covers gender identity. This started when the Supreme Court received three cases asking if Title VII also covers discrimination based on LGBTQ+ status. Also receiving complaints from athletes, The Supreme Court decided to advance on this topic more.

If allowing transgender women to be in women’s sports were to continue, they might allow transgender women into other sports that could get them into the Olympics. Many cisgender girls, females who identify as the same gender as their birth sex, have been upset because they would’ve gotten their chance to go to a good college, but they were sadly beaten in a high school track race by a transgender woman.

Allowing transgender women to be in women’s sports would also start to make the world accept them even more. People get so involved with sports that they would think allowing these athletes to join will add some competition to the game or race. This might just make the LGBTQ+ community a little more likable.

Athlete Terry Miller has been running female track in high school as a transgender woman. Andraya Yearwood is also a transgender woman running track. In the track meets they are both in, they are usually in first or second place, rarely in third.

This may show that the effect on having transgender women running in women sports may be unfair. The two have spoken out against “attacks” on them running in women’s sports, usually just comments from the cisgender female track athletes asking why men are on the track. This is one of the many reasons why they are going through a Supreme Court case to try and see if athletes like Miller and Yearwood should continue running track.

Though most people are saying this case is already decided, some are arguing if this makes transgender people not allowed to play in the other genders’ sports, it would be an attack on the LGBTQ+ community. One thing stands true, the outcome of this Supreme Court case will change how the human race develops as a whole.