Global Climate Strike Stirs Up Trouble For World Leaders

Students on strike in Texas 
photo by: the Houston Chronicle

Students on strike in Texas photo by: the Houston Chronicle

Abigail Quinn, Contributor

All around the world, the current state of our climate has been hotly debated by politicians as well as by the regular old Joe. People are recognizing that immediate action must be taken to ensure the livable future of our planet for the youth of the next generation and this is causing some tension with lawmakers.

On the 20-27 of September, a record breaking 7.9 million people took to the streets to create action for the improvement of our global climate. This week long protest quickly gained more traction and has stretched longer than just one week and is rapidly becoming the largest strike for climate in history.

“Rarely, if ever, has the modern world witnessed a youth movement so large and wide, spanning across societies rich and poor, tied together by a common if inchoate sense of rage,” says New York Times columnist Sumini Sengupta.

While the government stays silent on the protests, much to the contrary, some influential political figures were seen interacting with protesters. New York representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was photographed giving high-fives to a group of climate striking students. Massachusetts senator and 2020 Presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren sent a supportive message to climate supporters in her states capital.

Popular businesses such as Lush, Ben and Jerry’s, Burton, Patagonia, and many more closed their doors in silent support of the strike, encouraging their employees to participate.

Although there is no drastic, immediate change, it is the hope of many that continual political pressure will influence government decisions. Whether or not world leaders are deciding to act on the demands of the protesters still remains to be seen, months after the worldwide protests.