Are You Up for the Challenge?

welcome to the AP community

one pager from the freshman AP Human Geography class during the 2018-2019 school year

Hailey Brinson, Contributor

Advanced Placement courses, which are included in the AP program, offer a wide variety of opportunities for students starting in grades 9-12. AP is a class level beyond honors that gives students a chance to earn college credits while still in high school. Like most classes, there is an exam at the end of the year, where most colleges require a score of a 3, although some schools require a higher score.

Different schools throughout the country offer many different AP classes. Here at Ashley Ridge, we take pride and joy in those who wish to enroll.

As a school we offer, but are not limited to: AP US History, AP European History, AP Government, AP Language, AP Literature, AP Statistics, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, etc. Each class provides a more rigorous course-load for the courses you enjoy most.

Since you are placed in a college level class, teachers expect above and beyond from each of their students.

Mrs. Lisa Shaffer, one of the AP Language teachers here at the Ridge writes, “I require one thing from the students in my class: please don’t fake read what I assign.” Shaffer also writes, “Please don’t write a third-grade level essay and think that’s ok.” Teachers ask for nothing but your best work and all of your effort.

Many parents and students compare the difference between CP, Honors and AP classes to further see if their child would be interested in enrolling.

Mr. Nate Harris, the AP Government/European History teacher here at Ashley Ridge, claims, “Students face a lot more academic responsibility in AP courses.” With an AP class, students are trusted more on how they want to present themselves and are expected to not always rely on their teachers for every little thing.

The teachers also expect more from their students and do their best throughout the year to prepare each individual for the exam.

Mrs. Brittany Butler, our wonderful AP Statistics teacher, states, “We do sometimes have assignments that I give but won’t get graded or assignments, Like FRAPPYs (Free Response A P Problem Yay!), that students will self-grade.”

Butler also states, “Required work in the past has included mathxl homework assignments, reading the textbook, taking two mock AP exams in the spring before the AP exam, and the usual tests and quizzes in class.” Though the work is rigorous, the help provided by the teachers is unlimited and amazing.

From a student perspective, there are obviously hundreds of different opinions from each student involved in the program. As AP students, there are many points of advice that current students can give.

Ms. Lucy Proctor advised, “Don’t overthink what you’re doing because if you put in maximum effort, then you’ll end up being fine.” Your grade might not always be an A+ one hundred percent of the time, but that’s okay. Proctor also states, “And if your grade isn’t what you want it to be, give it time because it takes a while to get the hang of it.”

Students who have great time management skills are usually very successful in AP courses since they can better manage their work around their schedules. Ms. Anna Lloyd also advises, “The workload will be higher than you’re used to and it takes some time to get used to it. But after you practice, you will learn how to manage your time much more efficiently.”

Advanced Placement, or AP, is a very beneficial way for students in grades 9-12 to get involved with college credit(s). Compared to dual enrollment, your AP credits will be accepted at almost every college, whereas your dual credits may not.

However, both are fantastic programs that provide the rigorous learning of college to your everyday high school classrooms. Remember to breathe, study, and be ready to be welcomed into an outstanding family of a community.