Cheating Plague

careerengine.us

Cheating Plague

careerengine.us

careerengine.us

careerengine.us

careerengine.us

The definition for academic cheating is “representing someone else’s work as your own”, and it’s a hot topic. Mention of cheating ranges from the most prestigious schools in the country, on SATs and ACTs, and often even teachers can be found cheating. It is much more common than some may think.

Reports show that 60-70% of high school students have cheated and 90% have copied another one of their peers’ homework. A majority of students, when asked, would say cheating is not as severe as teachers believe it to be and that helping one another on a test or a quiz is fair because of the strong emphasis on making high grades.

The numbers on paper typically take priority over actually learning. Students feel like cheating can be justified by the amount of pressure riding on them to get good grades and go to college.

An anonymous student explains, “I will help my friends out on tests and they’ll help me. I have never been caught and think there’s worse things than cheating. It’s basically students vs. teacher so there’s nothing really wrong with giving an answer.”

While cheating may be easy, it has major consequences. Being caught just once can ruin trust between a teacher and student. Dishonesty will become easier and easier, and cheating will have negative effects in the long run.