Should High Schools Provide Basic Living Skills Classes?

RoJo Images

Three wooden books with Reading, Writing and Arithmetic painted on them sitting on a sprital notepad.

Zachary Ebey, Contributor

Most people have all been there in geometry class wondering when we will need to invert a triangle and then find the cosine. When exactly will we use this in real life? But what if there was a class that taught basic cooking skills, how to do your taxes, how to buy a car, how to use finances correctly, how to fill out resumes, and maybe even how to change a flat tire on your car? Would those be skills that could be used in life and taught in school?

According to one website, “HUFFPOST”, education does not equal an easy transition into an easy life. Most high schools offer some courses like home economics which may teach cooking or sewing. A few select high schools have programs that teach some students woodworking skills or even car mechanics. Yet there are no general education classes that teach everyday skills. Even if you are able to get to college, the most you can hope for there is a speech class.

The next issue is when to have this class and who takes it. Most kids want to drive cars and get their first jobs by the time they are 16. The optimal time to have this class would be in the sophomore year. This would allow the students to learn skills like interviewing techniques, filing out resumes and yes even basic car care. Now the students will have better opportunities to find employment and will even know how to take care of their car so they can stay employed.

This is where some people disagree. According to one article, “ChildUp” many people think that life skills classes should be taught by parents at home. But what about those kids that live in foster care, group homes, or homes where those skills are not present? Overall, everyone ends up in the real world, so shouldn’t we make sure that they are ready? These life skills could help make more students successful.