Should Virtual Schooling Become the Norm?

Xavier Proctor-Floyd, Editor

The Coronavirus Pandemic has affected the world for the past nine months, and public schools are one of the biggest victims of the pandemic. All public schools in South Carolina have been closed since March 16 (ed.sc). With the new school year, most schools have turned to virtual schooling, which involves teachers and students communicating over a video call.

The biggest problem with virtual schooling is that the student needs to have a stable internet connection, which many do not have, and they need the devices such as computers to access the internet, which many also do not have.

Not only do students have to worry about the internet, they also have to make sure that the programs that the students and teachers are using are running efficiently. Many programs have trouble supporting thousands of students using the same features at the same time.

If a student can easily access virtual schooling, it may be very beneficial for the following reasons: they don’t have to worry about transportation, it may be easier to focus in a home environment, and many may prefer online schooling over in-person schooling. However, for many this is not the case.

In-person schooling provides mental health, and social services that online schooling can’t provide (cdc.gov). For many, in-person schooling is much easier because you don’t have to deal with the possibilities of not even accessing the content. Simply, in-person schooling is a simpler and more reliable way for students to learn.

Leave your comment below for which method you prefer!