SC Teacher passes away due to COVID-19

South Carolina tragically passes away due to complications with COVID-19

Eugenio Guardascione, Contributor

A third grade teacher from Lexington County School District One has reportedly died due to COVID on Saturday, Dec. 5, officials reported.

Staci Blakely was a 50-year-old woman born in Cheraw before graduating from Gilbert High School and Columbia College, according to her obituary (thestate). Blakely had 28 long years of experience in education, and started her career at Virginia Park Elementary in Richland 1 in 1992, where she would later join Lexington 1  in 1999. She taught at Carolina Spring Elementary (wyff4).

According to her obituary, she was a “… very passionate person about teaching and was an advocate for reading,” and “she loved the students she taught throughout her career”.

Leaving her loved ones behind, such as her husband Chris Blakely and two daughters Lauren and Megan Blakely, amongst other loved ones, her main family decided to let Lexington 1 share the news of her unfortunate passing to the public as a critical reminder of the serious nature of the coronavirus (thestate).

“One of the ways we can celebrate her life is being sure that we continue to take care of each other,” stated Lexington 1 superintendent Greg Little in a news release over the weekend. “Mrs. Blakely’s death is a tragedy. She was a wonderful, warm teacher who will be missed” (thestate).

Another statement from a former student of Blakely had to say: “I will always remember that she was a strong, loving teacher and not only was she a teacher, she was a mother from home and I could always count on her…” (wyff4).

A memorial for the life of Blakely took place on Dec. 9, at the First Calvary Baptist Church in Leesville, SC.