The Perks of Being a Wallflower: A Must-Read For Young Adults

The Perks Of Being a Wallflower is a beautiful book written by the author Stephen Chbosky. This book creates in-depth characters and written out scenes that allows you to visualize Charlie writing to you, this book is written in a group of letters, a very creative choice that brings the whole book together.

Eran Bagwell, Contributor

The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Steven Chbosky is an emotional, heartfelt book that all young adults should read. The book talks about problems and follows friendships, giving advice as you read to overcoming mental health issues, school, and relationships.

The story follows the adventure of Charlie into his first year high school. Charlie walks in with nobody and struggles to make himself seen. As the story proceeds, Charlie writes notes about these friends he has found in weird circumstances. The story shows the adventures, friendship, and roller coasters of life as you read through the story. While dealing with friendships, you also deal with the highs and lows of metal health and how important it is to take care of yourself. This story has a beautiful portrayal of real life in its most beautiful and ugliest moments.

As the story is written in letters, there are gaps in between each, this can be seen as a bad thing but it leaves certain situations up to the imagination. The development and creation of each character make the read worth it. There are characters, like Patrick, who are there to create some of the funniest moments of the book, as well as characters like Mary-Elizabeth who are there to create some of the most awkward moments of the book. You follow the love story between two of the characters and watch individual relationships become complex through the writing no matter how brief the interaction.

This book is a must-read for young adults and people in their teenage years. This is a beautiful way to connect with characters and watch a beautiful story line appear. This book is a New York Times bestseller and has even been produced into a movie directed by author Stephen Chbosky starring Emma Watson and Ezra miller, which is just as beautiful of the book. Add this to your list of books that are tear jerkers as well as books that bring joy through beautiful storytelling and development.