COVID-19 Constantly Changes ARHS’ Schedule

As Covid-19 cases are on an increasing trend, how will it affect the student’s schedules?

Eugenio Guardascione, Contributor

As the months go by, the school year has been on one big roller coaster ride of schedule changes and concerns about whether it’s truly safe to go back to school face-to-face on a regular basis. Considering the fluctuating cases of COVID-19 throughout the year, it is difficult to say when we can truly enjoy school as we once did.

From the beginning of September, the number of COVID cases rose significantly during that month; hundreds of cases were reported each day, with some days having over 1,000 confirmed cases–specifically, Sept. 11, 13, 17, 24, 25, and the 26 (New York Times).

Over the course of October, COVID cases remained constant for the most part. There was no period of significant increase or decrease during that month.

As for the months of November and December, however, the number of coronavirus cases have significantly increased, with no signs of the trend declining anytime soon. Starting from Nov. 1, cases have been increasing at intervals of a 1,000 and more, with no period of decrease since. The pinnacle of recorded cases was during the days of Dec. 27 and Jan. 3, with a total case count of 7,287 and 8,951 respectively (The New York Times). 

With a continuing increase in cases, it’s difficult for Ashley Ridge to clearly comprise a plan/schedule for students. The decision of if students can return to school face-to-face on a regular basis depends on the trends of cases in the next few weeks, following February.  The trend of cases will have to decrease by a good margin if the schedule of the school is to be finally back on its course, as it used to be many months ago.

What’s next for the future of ARHS?